Sunday, December 31, 2017

French Dip at Island Cafe, Anacortes, WA


























Setting the Stage

I was home for the holidays and found myself between ferries.  My brother, Adam, had told me I needed to check out the French Dip at Island Cafe, so I did.  

I showed up and didn't know what to think.  I had expected it wouldn't be that nice of a place but it really was nice and clean and welcoming inside.  There were nice waitresses and a few locals and it just seemed like a nice, casual place to be.  And it was really clean.  

I had the French dip and was pleasantly surprised and I guess happy to learn that their French dip was better than that of Gere-a-Deli, another A-Town staple, which I'd had days prior.  Good job Island Cafe for a nice French dip sandwich!

Tasting Notes

Side salad looks good 4, big, cold, good croutons, tomatoes, red onion
Salad so big I want ready for the fd
Sandwich alone 4, nice beef flavor
Pretty good size
Roast beef looked dry but is fairly, tender, good saltiness, jucy
Jus for, hot, floaters, 4
Beef not stacked as high as Gere a deli but better flavor overall
Chewy and soft, well Toasted
Enough jus
No skewers
Garnished with dill pickle chips and red onion slices
Salad a bit too wet
Better than Gere a deli's overall

Summary

Bread 3 of 5 Didn't look that great but was fine.
Meat 4 of 5 For really good beef flavor and a good amount.
Non-Meat Toppings Didn't have any and that's okay.  Keep it simple, stupid.
Jus 4 of 5 As it was hot and had some floating bits of taste.
Overall 4 of 5 Beats the FD at Gere-A-Deli with its tasty beef flavor, good salad and nice jus.

No comments:

Post a Comment