Sunday, July 16, 2017

Banh Mi Dipped Sandwich at Bol Restaurant in Seattle, WA Awarded 5 of 5 DeliciScore™ (Great) - June 3rd, 2017 - Really fancy touches on a classic

I had read about the Banh Mi French Dip idea about a year ago.  It made sense: I love pho and banh mi sandwiches, why not integrate the two?  A fusion of sorts.  I had heard that this sandwich was featured at Bol Restaurant in the University District of Seattle, so I had to go.


They helped me find my way there.


Cool menu and big, metal soup spoon and metal chopsticks.  I was impressed already.


So many awesome choices including egg and truffle garlic fries.  I was in heaven.

Fancy cocktails.


Nice touch to their water.


Notes while I arrived and waited


  • Smells good in there
  • Great, fun menu
  • Lively music playing
  • I chose the Banh Mi with pork (which was recommended by my server) and I added a fried egg and truffle garlic fries (which sadly never came)
  • I was afraid that the "small side" of pho broth would not be enough
  • The sandwich should be big, filling and good
  • Fresh cuke, cilantro, pickled daicon, jalapeño, house-seasoned pate-aioli spread)
  • Too much mayonnaise?
  • Gluten free bread option
  • Duck sandwich option: next time
  • Will the veggies on the sandwich be too fresh to enjoy when dipped into jus?
  • I was on my way to 'Data Viz and Snacks' a fun meetup for people into data visualization in Seattle.
  • Slow delivery for the food: it took ~20 minutes?!


The eating


Looks good, big size.


Looks great.

Dregs of the pho once done.  Good drinking.

The egg in there.  Looks good.




Money shot.  "Jus" (pho) not overly dark but was good.




Tasting Notes


  • The pork was very delicious and the sandwich alone was delicious
  • The pho alone was great (we were off to a really good start)
  • I almost didn't want to dip because the sandwich really didn't need anything more.
  • I give it "Excellent":  5 of 5 everywhere
  • I used the jus sparringly but it was nice to have, albeit not central or critical to the meal
  • Overall this was a 5: great / perfect sandwich and stuff but not a perfect FD. Great concept.
  • They forgot my Truffle garlic fries.
  • I'll go back

Summary

Bread 5
Meat 5
Non-Meat Toppings 5
Jus 5
Overall 5
As  French Dip 4 but still very great

No comments:

Post a Comment