Saturday, May 6, 2017

The French Dip Sandwich at The Lockspot Cafe in Seattle, WA's Ballard Neighborhood Awarded 3 of 5 DeliciScore™ (Fine) on this 5th day of May, 2017 - Nothing too special but not bad either, a classic






The salad's lettuce was brownish but otherwise things were fine.  The flavor of the dip was not to die for but it was good enough.  I feel like maybe it was over-buttered.  Is that even possible?


Here we can see some brown-ness on the lettuce, which is not what we want.

Boundary Bay IPA in the background and some flecks of flavor in the jus, which we like to see and enjoy.

Classic bread and visibly buttered, which is fine.  But it will only get a 3 (passing score).


The dipped sandwich money shot.  Looks good.  Some visible fat in the meat which we actually appreciate as a show of imperfection yet deliciousness.

Setting the Stage

My buddy JD was in town, who I hadn't seen in a while.  Within the last few years he has become an IT person so we got to talk tech.  He showed me a new 'internet in a box' device he and his friend Adam have created.  It is kind of neat and they were looking for input on their globalization / world domination strategy, which I tried to provide.  I met them first at the Ballard Public Library, then we went out for a walk, and I got hungry.  So we went to The Lockspot Cafe by the Ballard Locks.  I ordered the French dip and bought them a beer.  I asked the waitress if the sandwich was better with roast beef or burger (that can be substituted) and she thought the roast beef was fine so I proceeded.  It was about 2 PM on a Friday and I had the day off of work.  We talked about tech, podcasting, the third world and I had a French dip to review.

Tasting Notes

The is a classic French dip sandwich with the standard sandwich roll, buttered and toasted, a pretty good looking jus, okay beef and overall it tasted fine.  It didn't have any frills or anything.

Scoring


Bread 3.  Standard bread, buttered and toasted.  Good job for this.  It could have had too much butter on it but is that even a thing?
Meat 3.  This was a decent amount of pretty good, sometimes chewy roast beef.  Some pieces were a little fatty but I don't mind that; makes it seem more authentic.
Non-meat toppings.  Weren't any.  No problem. We don't mind that.  We are purists who love meat, bread and jus and don't mind when there are more good things on it but don't require it to get our fix.
Jus 4.  It was pretty good jus.  I ran out and asked for more which promptly came.  It was hot enough and had flecks of herbs or pepper in it, which I like.
Overall 3.  This is a classic and can't really go beyond because it is so traditional.  It wasn't perfect but it was good.

Summary

This place is good because of its location but probably not good at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment