Tuesday, April 4, 2017

"Big Dipper" French Dip Sandwich at Kirkland, WA George's Awarded a 3 of 5 DeliciScore™ (Pretty Good) on this 4th day of April, 2017 - Provolone and onions make it good, bowl of jus


















The Story

I was out for a walk from work and knew I hadn't yet completed the French dips at George's a diner and breakfast spot in downtown Kirkland.  I hymned and hawwed over whether or not I would walk back to George's to taste test their sandwich and then decided that I would.  I sat at the bar.  The salad was good.  The French dip was pretty good and I enjoyed my lunch.  I am nearly done with all of the French dips in Kirkland now.  Here's the to do list

Tasting Notes


  • Choices between burger dip and roast beef (French dip) all under a single menu item.
  • Good side salad with nice crunchy herbed croutons, cheddar cheese and pretty good dressing.
  • Sandwich alone is good and bread is soft.
  • Comes with a bowl of jus, which I hadn't seen in a while.  Compare to Gere-a-Deli, which also provides such an option.
  • The roast beef was well done and somewhat chewy.  It wasn't bad but it also wasn't especially fine.  Probably a 3 of 5 overall since at least there was plenty beef.  The beef also "pulled out" of the sandwich which was a bit sad.  Sad!
  • The sandwich overall has a garlicky taste, which is nice.
  • The grilled onions and cheese do indeed add something.
  • The jus was plentiful, dark, good and oily and served in a big bowl.  The issue with the bowl is that it had a flat bottom which made it shallow, so I do not believe this was an ideal serving vassel.
  • The bread scores a 3 of 5 for being plentiful albeit somewhat "white bread" and kind of pillowy soft.  
  • The onions are probably the best part of the sandwich.  I also liked the chewy beef, jus and cheese so overall we were doing well but I think the bread is where this thing primarily misses although it was also buttered and grilled.
  • Overall this sandwich gets a 3 and possibly a 4. 
  • The flavor of the sandwich was even a bit tart/sharp, tangy and definitely salty.  The cheese also added some balance, but being processed, was not exactly what I wanted and made the feeling of overall quality go down.
  • The non-meat toppings get a 3 of 5 because the cheese brings the score down.  The onions were good.  Perhaps next time ask for non-processed cheese.  They had okay cheddar on the salad so I'm sure they have it.


Summary


  • Meat 2 of 5 just because it was not overly "fine".  They gave you plenty, though, so that was nice.
  • Bread 2 of 5 because it was too soft.
  • Non-Meat Toppings 3 of 5.  They definitely added something and were good but I have to deduct points for using sub-par (processed) cheese.
  • Jus 4 of 5.  It was good and salty and came in a bowl.  It wasn't herbed or anything too fancy but it was nice and oily, good.
  • Overall 3 of 5.  This is a pretty good French dip sandwich and nice with the toppings but I have to score it a 3 of 5 because it was not overly refined and the meat was just kind of chewy.




Conclusions

This is a pretty good French dip in a pinch.  The jus is good.  The bread is a bit too soft for my liking.  Processed cheese does not helps its cause but the size and onions make it pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment