Saturday, May 30, 2015

French dip review: Emory's on Silver Lake, Everett, WA 5/25/2015 5 of 5

It was the Monday of Memorial Day weekend and my wife and I were driving back home from a long and great weekend at home in the San Juan Islands with my parents and family on Guemes.  It was approaching dinner time and I was starting to get hungry and talked Jessi into stopping at this place in Everett called Emory's on Silver Lake.  I'd driven past Emory's on a number of occasions and it looked to be nice.  To boot, my friends Brian and Lindsay who live in the neighborhood near it, had told me a year or two back that they had a the French dip.  Plus, Foursquare gave it a score of 8.4 of 10.0 so I felt compelled...and hungry.

The last review I'd written, for Slugger's, was purely text and I'd enjoyed that writing experience.  I wanted to do it again, and to eat my favorite sandwich type.

We got to Emory's and the parking was big and there were a few cars there.  I was happy they were open on the holiday.  They are located right next to a small park (and a busy road) and the small Silver Lake.  Silver Lake isn't all that beautiful or anything but the restaurant location no less looks modern and a bit fancy.  Water-front usually helps.

We had our dog, Remus, with us and he needed to be walked from the long car ride.  Jessica needed to use the restroom so I told her I'd walk the dog and meet her inside afterwards.  I took a quick stroll and when I came into the restaurant, Jessica was talking to two young hostesses and I told her (them) that I needed to use the restroom.  They were still chatting when I came back so my first impression was a good one: the staff seemed nice, friendly and helpful.

We were offered many good seating options.  We selected the outdoor, covered, heated patio option which was very nice, right next to their big fireplace.  We got the SW corner table looking out at the lake.  It had a great vibe / ambiance: there and we were surrounded by many faux plants. I didn't find them to be tacky; they livened up the place a bit and being close to the water was nice, too.

I ordered a Bloody Mary and Jessica got a glass of white wine.

The menu was quite extensive and they had very many beer and wine choices and their Happy Hour choices looked good, too, but we weren't there during Happy Hour time.

I ordered their French dip, which sounded great.  When it came, the size was very large and the medium to medium rare meat was quite plentiful and stacked high.  The bread and portion size was huge.  It had *very good* melted cheese on it, which didn't overwhelm: it added to the experience.  The sandwich alone was a delicious, crunchy, chewy, delicious, beefy 5 of 5.

The test was dipping the delicious sandwich into the dark jus to see if the jus helped or hindered.  It helped, which was amazing and blew my mind how good it was.  It was delicious.  Overall a 5 of 5 in all categories.  No complaints, I wouldn't change a thing other than the size being big but that's not complaint-worthy.  A dainty person (not me) may not be able to eat the whole thing.

Another very big benefit of this place was that I was able to substitute fries for vegatables.  I asked if I could substitute the fries for a salad but the upcharge at $5.50 was too rich for my blood so I got "vegetables", which wound up being perfectly prepared (al dente) broccolini and asparagas with some butter flavor.  It was nice to eat these veggies like fries with my fingers and feel like I was being slightly healthier.

This was a great meal and a place I liked a lot.  Jessica got the Chicken Tikka which was only fine. She said the rice was delicious, though.  We liked our experience and I'd definitely go back for this cheese, garlicky French dip specifically.

On the drive home I told my buddy Brian that we had been there and he started claiming that they had health department complaints or some such thing but I didn't see evidence of this on the internet and our experience was great.  I highly recommend the Emory's French dip sandwich for it's garlicky,  cheesy goodness and the fun of sitting near the water in the city.

Bird's eye view of the meal.  Big size.


Sandwich with dark jus, nice greens on the side.


Close up of jus and veggies.

Wood skewer.

Close-up of meet and cheese and airy, chewy, crunchy great bread. 

The money shot.

Close up of good, al dente greens.

All gone.

View from our seat of Silver Lake through a bug mesh thing.

Our boy Remus with cookies.

Grandma Jane and Remus.

Ari (upper left), me and Remus.

View from the north beach of Guemes Island that weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment