Wednesday, March 11, 2015

4 of 5 DeliciScore™ (Great) Awarded to The Steak 'N Hoagie Shop for their French Dip Sandwich in Charlotte, NC on this 11th day of March, 2015 -

Editor's note: It looks like Scott had another good French dip, a 4 of 5 in Charotte, NC.  Here's his very positive review!

I've been a Charlottean for 17 years. I've passed by the three locations of The Steak 'N Hoagie probably hundreds of time. But I'd never felt inspired to check it out until a coworker of mine said it was a good place to get a delicious Philly Cheesesteak, and very affordable. So last week I took the plunge.

I arrive at this mostly take-out joint, and see on the menu a Philly Cheesesteak Au Jus. I was in awe of the idea. It's like my two favorite sandwiches in one. So of course, I skipped the regular cheesesteak that they are known for and went with the "dip" version.

First off, this place is cheap. Really cheap. It was $4.75 for the sandwich and I decided to go with double meat for an extra $1.75. Added a side of pepperoncini peppers for $1.50.

"I came back to my office, and unwrapped the best hidden secret in Charlotte that I've found in a while."

I came back to my office, and unwrapped the best hidden secret in Charlotte that I've found in a while. A meat-packed sandwich with melty provolone on a soft hoagie bun. Though the bun was soft, maybe not French Dip material, it was still fresh and delicious. The meat was just what you would expect in a Philly: thinly sliced, finely chopped, and with crusty bits of goodness throughout.



The meat was just what you would expect in a Philly. Thinly sliced, finely chopped, and with crusty bits of goodness throughout.




"So of course, with this place being a cheesesteak place, and not necessarily a French Dip place, I had low expectations of the au jus."

So of course, with this place being a cheesesteak place, and not necessarily a French Dip place, I had low expectations of the au jus. But I was so pleasantly surprised when my styrofoam cup plentifully full of au jus contained a wonderful, dark jus with a ton of flavor.

I thoroughly enjoyed the sandwich. Throw it on a French roll and it's a solid 5. But unfortunately that isn't an option.

"I now can see myself hitting this place up on a weekly basis to fulfill my endless French Dip cravings for a measly $4.75 to $6.50 if you want extra meat."

The Bread: 3
The Meat: 4
The Au Jus: 5
The Portion: 5 (of course, I got double meat - worth the $1.75)
Overall: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment